Friday, June 22, 2007

Dear Idiot, Please Don't Leave The House

Sometimes I wonder how people manage to gain employment. Particularly people who are earning a great deal more than I am but are challenged by the notion of having to Dial 9 for an outside line and panic about operating a fax machine.

People who's whole world crumbles when the person they wish to speak to is unavailable and have a good old moan and sigh about and then say "Oh well, it can wait."

People who, when asked if they would like to leave a message, tell you the entire history of the Mayan civilization before leaving their name and number.

People who think I'm being paid to listen to them, and only them, and their dilemma at the expense of all others like some sort of glorified sooth-sayer.

People who really just shouldn't be allowed to have contact with other humans until appropriate training is given. Fuck off and leave me alone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I miss reading your blog and I miss you! Hope to see you soon.

Love,
Chris

Helena said...

Too true! I was just as annoyed recently when I popped in to the job centre with my son who was seeking a summer job. While a worker went off to find my son an application form, her colleague at the next desk lifted the phone, dialled '9' and was telling a friend all about the clairvoyant she saw the previous night!

There are perks to a lot of jobs but wasting time in a busy job centre certainly put a different spin on serving the public. If that's the criteria then I'm up for a job in Government!