Saturday, October 06, 2007

Good News After the Operation

The surgery went better than expected.

My ear was completely disease free, and the surgeon, Dr. Levy, didn't even need to cut my head open this time!

He went through the ear canal and seeing as there was no disease he decided to try and improve my hearing. He cut some cartledge from the outer part of the ear and grafted it to the damaged bones inside.

Over the next few months as the cartledge fuses with the bones it should strengthen them and conduct sound into my ear better, improving the hearing.

*fingers crossed*

Tim was also a little star and stayed with me through out the long day (had to get up at 6am and didn't get home until nearly 8pm) and brought me food when the mean hospital people wouldn't feed me!!!

He also kept in touch with my parents in Canada through out the day.

Tim did think we'd be home for lunch, as we had to be at the hospital at 7:30am! Before surgery though, I needed assessment and a hearing test. I didn't go in for surgery until 10:15am, and then was brought back from the recovery room at about 12 noon. I was groggy and out of it.

I wasn't allowed water until 2pm, and food until 3pm. By the time the doctor had come to see me and explain everything it was going on 6pm.

Our taxi arrived at 6:40pm, and the driver got lost taking us home. Despite us saying we lived in North Woolwich, not far from city airport and his GPS pointing the right way, the man still drove through the Blackwall tunnel to Woolwich in South London. We didn't realise until we were in the tunnel and then it was too late. We had to turn around and come back North.

It was nearly 8pm when we go in. Tim made me some lovely pasta for dinner and it we were in bed by midnight.

2 comments:

Helena said...

Taxi drivers can really put it on if they get a hint that your not local or new to the area.

At my daughter's wedding in Bucks last year the taxi driver clocked that our accents were Scottish and kept asking us if HE was going the right way....!! Cost us £15 for a 2 mile journey!

Pleased that your op went well!
L
x

Little Miss Bitch said...

Well, I am local and we didn't pay extra. The price was agreed before as he was a mini-cab driver.

He didn't realise that there was a North Woolwich and a Woolwich, which are opposite sides of the Thames.

The hint was in the *NORTH* Woolwich. :-)