Monday, April 16, 2007

Stranded in East Sussex

Yesterday being a sunny, and very unseasonably hot (26C was it??), day I decided I should go to the countryside to visit Vanessa and Mike at their new pad in Plumpton, East Sussex just outside of Lewes.

I overslept, then once I bought my tickets I found out that there was a rail-replacement bus services half-way down the line. Still, I boarded the train and changed at Three Bridges for the bus, which ended up taking ages to get to....Hayward's Heath (famous for being a soulless commuter town and Brett Anderson's hometown). Vanessa and Mike came to pick me up at the train station there because it was easier to do that than wait for me to arrive in Lewes someday.

V and Mike live across the road from Plumpton Race Course above a stable adjacent to a lovely, old cottage farm house thingy owned by a lovely, hardworking family.

There are 4-5 horses in the stable, plus 4 dogs who live at the house. There are two red-headed children, too, plus a swimming pool and a tennis court. Not to mention the blooming trees, and green pastures full of cows and horses. It was superbly idylic.

Mike went to the pub. Vanessa made some coffee, which we drank outside in the sunshine under a tree full of white flowers. We threw sticks for the dogs to chase and had a girlie chat until Vanessa realised she was burning.

We decided to walk to the nearest pub through country roads, over a stream, past a 13th Century Church, and country cottages. When we got there, the pub had just shut. At 16hrs. What the fuck. The country side is stranger than I thought.

Vanessa said there as another pub a bit further away but should only take 10-15 minutes. So we set off and we walked and walked, and walked. We had to walk on the road as well, as there is no pavement, just private farmland.

"I think that's it over there...oh no...it's just a house" Vanessa said several times before it was finally the Half Moon Pub

The pub was a cute traditional pub with a gorgeous, spacious, beer garden overlooking the downs. The bar man was incredibly friendly and smiley. The beer garden had a playground for children and we laughed as one kid kept hitting himself in the head with a swing.

We sat and chatted in the late afternoon sun watching the hills and fields around us while sipping white wine and munching on peanuts.

It got a bit chilly towards the sun set so we decided to head back and read a sign that said "Plumpton Race Course 1 3/4 miles", so that explained the long walk. I got stung by nettle on the way, too but Vanessa found some dock for me to rub the sting away.

Back at the flat Vanessa made a stir fry and then we headed out to the train station to catch the Rail Replacement Bus Service. I was shocked when I saw how dark it was outside when I got to the door. The only light was coming from the stars, there was no moon. It was freaky. We used the light from our mobile phone screens to see the way.

We got to the station 5 minutes before the bus was due to arrive. And we waited, and waited then we called National Rail Enquires who told us the bus should have been there and had no explanation as to why it was missing. Then a bus did arrive but it was going the other way towards Lewes. The driver said the bus I was waiting for should have arrived at the same time as him but after half an hour of waiting, we had missed the connection to the last train into London so we headed back to the flat.

They put a mattress down for me, gave me soap, shampoo, body lotion and PJS so I could be fresh in the morning. Vanessa also hand washed my skirt. It was white and I had managed to get news print, chocolate and soy sauce on it.

I made it into work on time at least this morning. So here I am in yesterdays clothes and wearing an unfamiliar perfume (that is always unsettling for me.) Still, I had a grand and relaxing time in Plumpton and am looking forward to more summer days in the country this year.

No comments: