Monday, March 05, 2007

Stories from Argentina: Bahia Blanca II


Sofia and Amparo the day I arrived



















Amparo the day I arrived

The flight to Bahia Blanca was delayed and amusing.

The flight attempted to speak in English, and for a long time but she made absolutely no sense. Basically, she could barely speak the language and she was obviously unsure of herself.



I arrived as the sun was setting. It was a beautiful evening and I enjoyed the typical Bahiense breeze as I walked along the tarmac.



I was greeted my nan, uncle Juan Carlos and his wife Licha, my aunt Maride and my 11 year old cousin Sofia.



Grandmas was sitting in her wheelchair, but leapt to her feet to greet me. Although she does have a problem with her foot, she can actually walk and stand. She uses the wheelchair more for attention and to make sure she always has a seat.



It was quite emotional. Maride is a bit overdramatic and she was weeping and then Sofia started too, so then I started.



Then I realised they broke my suitcase so I got angry.



By the time that was sorted out we piled into my uncle’s car back to my nan’s house.



She had prepared a feast for me, but no really anyone else. I was a bit embarrassed to eat by myself but she had gone through the trouble so I did. Sofia was bit miffed at having no home made cannelloni.



Later my cousin Alessandro, Maride’s younger son, and Amparo, Juan Carlos’ youngest daughter, joined us too.



I was shattered but it was so lovely to be surrounded by interested and caring people. It wasn’t as overwhelming as I thought it would be but I was still tired and went to bed early.



The next day I went to my Uncle’s house for lunch. It was gorgeous and relaxing. Then my aunt and uncle took me for a drive around the city. I love the houses in some areas of Bahia like Patagonia and Paligue. Some had large terrains with pools and well maintained gardens.



They drove me to the house where my cousin Maria Jesus and her husband Adrian are building. It was just a shell but they had already started work on the garden which had many sunflowers in it.



Then a mobile rang. Maju rang and was on her way back from out of town so we headed back to the apartment, where they would meet us before heading to their own place.



We had a happy reunion. It was awkward at first. It was weird Maju being married. We are the same age, and we used to be very close. But then the mood lightened and Adrian is very funny.

To Be Continued...

No comments: