Sunday, June 11, 2006

Fuerza Argentina



After the rather dull start of football yesterday with England's inadvertent win against Paraguay (1-0 to England due to Paraguay's own goal-oops!)Argentina's win over the Ivory Coast was a magnificent game.

Ivory Coast definately kept us on our toes and played with heart, much respect to them but Argentina's defense prevailed and two fabulous goals won us the opening match.

The day was glorious and ridiculously hot- are we in Spain? I nearly fainted in the pub during the overcrowded England match in the Alexandra on Clapham High Street. Many thanks to Ali for getting me orange juice and a sweet to perk up my blood pressure.

We then sat outside afterwards drinking in the beating heat before heading into Clapham Common where Nik, Tom and I engaged in the worst game of footy in the history of the world. It also completely wrecked my toenails. Poor them! Matt and I also attempted freesby but the breeze was too much for it.

We then went back to the pub watch the Argentina match in the evening where Ed and Jackie kept me company for most of the game. I was on tenter hooks and only relaxed once Crespo scored. Fortunately I'd been drinking all day, which I think kept me calmer than I would have normally been.

After the game Alisdair, Helen, Suzanne, Nik, Tom, Sarah and er, other girl went for a curry next door. We had our own room at the back and it was absolutely sweltering. When the food came we all nearly died. Suzanne and I had to go outside for some fresh air. It was twenty to midnight and still it was warm. People were strolling by and standing outside pubs and restaurants as if we were on the med. It was wonderful.

We also realised we were about to miss the last tubes. Most of us live in North London. We had to scramble at the restaurant who took forever to get us our bill and then we had to divy it up. The restaurants idea of helping was to give us free shooters of Tia Maria and Creme, lollipops and chocolates.

I made it home, and had to jump in the shower as my feet were minging and after all the sweat and sunblock, I wasn't getting into bed with all day dirt on me!

I fell asleep with the fan on and no sheets on. It was like being on holiday.

No comments: