Monday, February 05, 2007

Miramar

I should describe this place a bit.

It is a small town by the sea in the province of Buenos Aires. Today was spectacular. It was a bit hazy so the sun wasn`t too strong.

My aunt and uncle hire a little balnearedo, which is a row of huts with sectioned like dressing rooms or tents about 6x4 each, where you can sit in the shade.There is also a table and a screen you can change behind. Chairs are provided and waiters from the nearby canteens go by taking food and drink orders.

The sea was rolling and everyone played in the waves like a game of dare. There was an undertow too, adding to the fun. People of all ages where throwing themselves into the waves like dolphins.

It is so warm you don`t really need to cover yourself in a towel as soon as you are out of the water. You just sit in the sun until you are quite dry.

Vendors selling soft drinks, coffee, newspapers, hats, towels, kites and jewelery walk up and down the beach showing their wares.

The house is gorgeous and is set on a large property with a large garden. I can hear the sea and frogs as I type.

Last night my aunt and uncle hosted a dinner or Azado (like a barbeque but on a bigger scale). We sat outside under a full moon with the smell of euculpytus trees clinging in the air.

My uncle`s cousin used to play bango in a tango orchestra. It turned out that my aunt`s hairdresser used to be one of their singers. The dinner was in their honour. She, the singer, came with her 2 sisters and they sang, and told us stories of the tango scene in the 50s and 60s. They knew many of the famous singers and musicians of the era and had much to tell. They also loved telling it! It was amazing. The sister that sang had a beautiful, passionate and theatrical voice and she brought tears to my eyes.

It has been magical.

1 comment:

traxis said...

Lovely post Val - Made me feel like I was there :)