Sunday, March 19, 2006

PopInjustice

The weekend started off full of promise. Not only was it Unskinny Bop weekend, it was also the launch of the new Popjustice night at Trash Palace.

Work had basically been a nightmare all week, and particularly on Friday.

Afterwork I popped into the Royal George to say hello to Alisdair and Helen before they went off to the New Forest for the weekend. They decided to join me for drinks at LUPO in Dean Street. Lvpl St David's brother's girlfriend was having drinks for her birthday.

I managed to offend one of the birthday girl's friends. She was from Canada and couldn't get her head around the fact that I was happier in Europe and didn't want to live in Canada again. She got quite huffy with me saying I just hadn't met the right people (hmm, I lived in Canada from the age of 5-21, I think I met enough Canadians in that time. Anyway, it's not the people I don't like.)Her attitude pissed me off. I love London to bits, but I don't expect everyone else to feel the same way. People slag it off all the time but I don't take it personally. Geez.

The bland heterosexuality of LUPO made us run screaming toward Trash Palace. Shockingly, we had to queue albeit briefly.

As soon as I walked in Alex, who sells the q-jump tickets for Popstarz, warned us to mind our things. Fatal Flaw # 1 with Trash Palace: lack of cloakroom.

Fatal Flaw #2: Too popular for its own good. There was nowhere to stand, dance, breath downstairs so we had to go upstairs where they have Fatal Flaw # 3: crappy music.

We sat for a while and chatted. Sid and Welsh David tried to convince me to try a festival, but to no avail. Richard joined us with his new work colleague Carry, who was lovely.

Eventually we decided to give the dance floor a go but as soon as Lvpl St David took a look at it he just took himself and Sid home (granted, he was leaving for France in the morning.) David and I got on the stage and tried to dance. We had to leave our coats on the floor next to us. People just crammed around swaying rather than dancing and seemed to be taking themselves a bit too seriously.

We decided to go get some drinks. I went to the toilet, during which OF COURSE, they had to play Biology by Girls Aloud. The Queue was massive so I missed the whole track.

I rejoined David and Richard at the bar, and then realised I'd left my gear by the stage. The only thing left was my red coat. My black military jacket, hat and scarf were gone. I looked everywhere for them but they were gone. Fucking bastards.

I left at that point. There was nowhere to stand comfortably, the bar was packed, it was hot, it was a mission to get to the toilet (and I don't know what they put in the drinks there because I always need to pee loads when I go)and I certainly wasn't going to put my coat down again.

Trash Palace is a great venue in theory, and I LOVE the music they play there. The problem is it's too popular for its size; and impractical without a cloakroom. I much preferred it when it first opened and wasn't so well known.

I went out into the very cold night and was lucky to get my bus right away. I played Suede's Dog Man Star when I got home and felt better.

Saturday

I went for a walk in the sunny park for the first time in months. It was awesome. There was a horribly cold wind but just to walk in the sun was a delight.

Later everyone was a wimp and bailed out of Unskinny Bop so I was left to sulk. I watch 28 Days Later on tv and drooled overe Cillian Murphy instead.

No comments: