Tuesday, January 10, 2006

I wanted to watch this programme last night, about religion being the root of all evil, but we went to see Brokeback Mountain

David, Lloyd, Albert, Khalid and I all found our way to the Barbican Centre (a monument to 70s architecture. Grandious, brown, impractical.)for the event.

A lot of hype and critical-acclaim has surrounded this movie. All I have to say about this Ang Lee film is that I preferred Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. Brokeback is a VERY good film, with a fantastic performance by Heath Ledger, but to be honest, I thought it was a bit slow in places and predictable to boot

The film spans 20 years, and they are not aged well. Adding a moustache to Jake Gyllenhall doesn't exactly make him look weathered.

It should also come with a warning: you will be exposed to far too much honky tonk, country&western music. Ugh.

I did feel quite teary eyed in places, and I would recommend it. It's a beautiful love story, and shows the difficulty of being gay in a time when it wasn't even spoken about.

No comments: